Project Graduation

In 2004, student Alison Feeney centered her senior project around alcoholism at graduation parties, something which ultimately led to the creation of Project Graduation in 2006. This year marks the 11th annual Project Graduation, a drug and alcohol free graduation party, where graduated seniors have one last moment together before going their separate ways.

This lock-in held at Nashua Sports Academy has two main goals: fun and safety. Every year the organizing committee tries to get as close to a 100% attendance rate as they possibly can, and let me just say, they make it very hard to say no. Throughout the night dorm goods, electronics, concert tickets, gift cards, and more are raffled off. Food is provided from 9pm to 5am- including a slushie bar and just about everything else you can think of. In past years, entertainment included a hypnotist, laser tag arena, DJ, magician, and obstacle course (don’t be fooled, the list goes on). The main purpose of all of this is to make kids want to come. The entire event is centered around making sure students want to chose Project Graduation over a riskier alternative.

Perhaps the best part of this is it is put on completely by the Amherst community. Project Graduation is entirely self-funded by donations, as well as fundraisers. Volunteers include parents, AMS and SHS staff, and Officer John Smith (APD and SHS’ R.O.). If you wish to make a monetary or prize donation, or to volunteer your time, please contact Krista Hanks at hanks.krista@gmail.com

SHS Claw • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (1)

All SHS Claw Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• K

Krista HanksMar 28, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Well done, Sarah! Project Graduation is looking forward to celebrating the 2016 Seniors. Info will go out to student in the coming months. Until then, students, parents and the community can follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SouheganHsProjectGraduation/

Reply