The student news site of Souhegan High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Women’s March on Washington 2017

People squished together on their way off the metro and up the escalators. Chants coming from the awaiting protesters could be heard all through the city. The DC metro station recorded that about 193,000 people road the metro on Donald Trump’s Inauguration Day, and 275,000 people just the day after for the Women’s March.

Women’s March on Washington 2017

"Continue to embrace the things that make you unique even if it makes others uncomfortable. You are enough. And whenever you’re feeling doubt, whenever you want to give up, you must always remember to choose freedom over fear." - Janelle Monae

• On January, 21st, 2017, over 500,000 people gathered in Washington DC to march towards our nations capital. The Women's March on Washington was one of the biggest marches in history, taking place in over 300 countries. Men, women, children and elders flooded the streets with signs and chants, determined to make their voices heard.

• People squished together on their way off the metro and up the escalators. Chants coming from the awaiting protesters could be heard all through the city. The DC metro station recorded that about 193,000 people road the metro on Donald Trump’s Inauguration Day, and 275,000 people just the day after for the Women’s March.

• Camera shy protester holds her homemade sign high, in hopes that it’ll become clear that she, along with many other marchers, aren’t taking Trump’s “Locker Room Talk” lightly. Protesters voiced that they didn’t support Donald Trump, given the allegations against him and comments he’s made related to sexual assault.

• Morgan Brown traveled all the way from Mont Vernon, New Hampshire to march. She came to Washington in hopes that her would be heard. Being apart of the march gave Morgan the opportunity to learn more about ways she could make a change. The march gave Morgan, and many others, the opportunity to learn more about the issues facing society today.

• Marchers take to the trees when the large crowds make it impossible to see the stage. Celebrities like Katy Perry, Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Alicia Keys made appearances at Women’s marches around the United States.

• Another Mont Vernon, New Hampshire resident Cindy Raspillar holds her sign up loud and proud. She came to Washington, DC to voice her opinion about the issues facing society today, including safety for all. She wishes that one day America will be a safe space for everybody.

• Maryland natives stand smiling with their homemade signs. They are both experienced activists stating that, “Equality and free choice should be a human right, not a luxury.”

• Another camera shy protester holds high her poster. She believe that with persistence, the voices of the marchers will not go unheard. The march has already grasped the attention of millions worldwide, creating controversy over the reasoning's behind it. Critics say taking to the streets will not help, nor change anything, but many march supporters disagree.

• The reasoning for attending the march varies between different people. This sign summarizes just some of the many reasons people gathered together from all over the world to march. Social issues brought to light with Donald Trump’s Presidency, like racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia and views on many other relevant issues, became the focus of the marches.

SHS Claw • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in