SHS Claw

Sabers Attend Dartmouth Relays

Thomas Headington, Contributing Author

A select few of SHS best indoor runners attended The 49th Annual Dartmouth Relays with teams from as far away as Canada and New York. For Souhegan, the Dartmouth Relays aren’t about winning as a team, but more about the personal success of the individuals who qualify for the meet.

“The highly competitive atmosphere of the meet is an ideal environment for personal improvement, and so that’s what we try to focus on,” said Coach Wilson.  Due to the number of runners who can attend the race, it isn’t feasible to expect significant team scoring, especially against such competitive teams. It’s much better to focus on using the meet as a way to place your runners up against stiff competition so they can be pushed to run their fastest times of the season.

Not surprising, the Lady Sabers did a phenomenal job with many of the girls running personal records in their individual events. Senior, Elise Lambert, won first place with an excellent finish in the 600-meter race running a personal best of 1:40.47. Junior, Arielle Zlotnick, placed sixteenth in the two-mile race with a season personal best of 12:20.23, and sophomore, Marissa Romano, placed eleventh in the 1000 meter race. In the unseeded one mile race, sophomore Mackenzie Hayden ran a personal record of 5:48.11 with an astonishing kick to finish first in her heat. From the sprinting team; senior Abby Cranney placed six in the 300-meter race with a season record of 43.21 seconds.

In the team relays, both the SHS girls relays ran well. The 4×200 relay ran by Kayla Kilcrease, Hannah Rowe, Katie Noyes, and Abby Cranney placed six overall and the girls DMR placed fourth.

From the boy’s team, sophomore Thomas Headington, placed 30 in the unseeded mile with a season record of 4:57.28. Both junior, Carter Schade, and freshman, Ethan McFee, ran personal records in the mile race. Schade ran a 5:07.58 placing 43rd and McFee ran 5:20.80. Freshman, Patrick Forester, placed 67th in the 55-meter dash running a personal record of 7.39 seconds.

Teamwise, the Souhegan girls placed 12th with 16 points making them one of the highest placed New Hampshire teams in the meet.  Although the boys did not place many made progress towards qualifying for the NH State Championship Meet.